Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Max first day of life 9/4/12 part 2...

Once we got to the NICU they got him all hooked up on monitors, O2, and an IV.  They also ordered many blood tests, a chest x-ray (which came back showing there was stuff all in his lungs). There was one spot that worried them in particular it was on the right lung. They said it could be 1 of 3 things,  1) and infection, 2) there was a hole in the diaphram letting bowel in there or 3) he had some kind of cyst or tumor on his right lung, and that would require surgery! Before the x-ray they thought it might be a nuemothroax (spelt wrong), the x-ray proved it wrong. So after the x-ray they wanted to narrow down the 3 things it could be so they did an ultrasound and it can back with a little spot on his right lung as well.  They did a 2nd chest x-ray a few hours later, they came to the conclusion that is just where a lot of the fluid from the infection was, and they would do one more chest x-ray in the morning to see if it improved after the antibotics start working.Still not good but I was so grateful it wasn't the other 2 things.

 It was so sad to watch our baby go through all of this. During things like the IVs they gave him sucrose to help with the pain but He would just hold my finger with his tiny hand so hard that his fingers would turn white. I could tell he knew it was me and I felt like it comforted him some how. I was so glad I could be with him! Especially for hard things like heel pokes and IV's cause he wasn't the easiest stick and they had to do it a couple of times.

Little Max all hooked up.

 I stayed for awhile and then I had to go back up to my room to pump (side note... When I pumped I got like 1 ML of Colostrum and I was so bummed and ready to throw it away and then my nurse made me feel so good when she was like no that is quite a bit his tummy is SO small right now so that is great ill put it in the fridge). Max couldn't nurse because it took to much energy for Max to eat so they wouldn't let him eat for the time being. He couldn't breath and suck. He didn't eat from like 3pm the 4th of sept. Till Noon or so the next day. That was one of the hardest things knowing he was hungry and I couldn't feed him. So I went to my room and my sweet sister Michelle had stopped by with a bag of food to snack on. I had been calling her to tell her we were in the NICU so if she went to our room we wouldn't be there. However about the time I got to my room Dean called and said she was down there with him. A few minutes later my parents walked in to my room and So I finished my thing in my room and we went back to be with my new little family. When I got back down there they had finished hooking him up and they let me hold him. 

 I told Dean I thought we should give him a blessing so Dean, his friend Tyrel, my Dad, and my Brother in Law Mark stood around me as I held baby Max and they place their hands on his head. Dean anointed him and then asked Tyrel to give the blessing. (the least bias person :-) ). It was good and comforting. One of the things that stuck out to me in my tired mind was that this was a short trial for Max. I then realized it will be okay and this will be short lived even if it is hard.  

After the blessing my Sis and her family headed out for the night and Dean and I took turns going out to the waiting room to eat dinner.  Max's first Nurse in the NICU was Nichole and then Joyce was the night shift nurse.

Mama holding her Precious Son. I LOVE you MAX!




 Daddy holding MAX

Max being one cool dude!

 Love these two!
It was REALLY hard to return to my room that evening without him! He had vomited several times brown junk. I was so afraid that he would throw up and the nurse wouldn't hear him because she was with her other patients and then he would aspirate. After talking and crying with Dean he told me it would be okay, he would be fine, and that I needed to sleep since I hadn't slept for 40ish hours. So I went to bed but I had Dean crawl into bed with me so I could have him near.

No comments:

Post a Comment