So I am just warning you this is GRAPHIC so if you don't like arachnids, please don't keep reading.
First, I am not writing this to make anyone feel sorry for me by any means. But this blog is also my journal and I want to write memories from Arizona in here. SO on Tuesday I was sleeping so peacefully in bed when all of the sudden around 5:30 am. I felt a sharp pain go through my right arm. I thought it was a cramp then it came again. I soon realized something was biting/stinging me. So I yelled for Dean to get out of bed. Something just bit me. ( I know, what a nice wake up call right?) I told him I thought it was a scorpion. So he got out of bed and started to look. We couldn't find anything. Then I looked at my arm and could see two stings. So Dean looked on the internet to find out what I should do to treat myself. They said Tylenol and Benadryl. So off to the store we went to find the meds and to find a black light. (We learned from people down here. That scorpions turn florescent green under a black light.) We found it. I took the meds, because by then I started to get a rash. and we headed home. We looked again with the black light all over the room and nothing was to be found. Then I had a thought what about under the mattress. GROSS. I know But... we lifted it up and BAM there it was. Dean KILLED it with a shoe.
Now I wasn't very familiar with this kind of stuff. So Dean told me to call the ER and talk to a nurse and make sure I didn't need to go in. Well the First ER I called told me they could not tell me if I was fine over the phone I needed to come in so they could see it. So I called another hospital and they said they couldn't tell me either. BUT that I could call poison control. (I thought for Heaven Sake I just want to know if I could DIE!). So I called poison control and they we SO helpful. They said they are not usually life threatening, but if I had trouble breathing or if any of the numbness, tingling, or pain I felt went above the shoulders I needed to go to the ER. Then They said and we DON'T recommend you take benadry. Oops... (Benadryl turn out to be a double bad idea because I got REALLY tired, couldn't take a nap cause it hurt, and I had a job interview at 10 that morning.) Poison control also informed me the numbness, tingling, and shooting pain could last for THREE DAYS!
People down here say it is just like a bad wasp sting. I guess I haven't been stung by a wasp so I don't know. All I know is the first day it hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. Because every time I moved my arm it felt like pens and needles in my arm. (the best way I can describe it is, it is like when your foot is asleep and it starts to wake again and it hurts so bad to move cause it tingles.) The second day wasn't as bad it still had the prickly sensation when I would touch my arm on something but the shooting pain was gone. Today is much better it is just a little numb. Let me tell you it was a weird experience.
Below are a few pictures of the kind of scorpion that stung me. It is called a Bark Scorpion
Below is what they look like under the black light. I do have to say they are more green then blue in real life but you get the point.
Also AZ has been HOT I know one day they had a record high! We have been under a heat advisory! I did see a temp of 121 on my cars thermometer. CRAZY I know. The even weirder thing is that we are getting use to it and it really doesn't seem that hot! Plus I would take the heat over cold any day. :)
Now I wasn't very familiar with this kind of stuff. So Dean told me to call the ER and talk to a nurse and make sure I didn't need to go in. Well the First ER I called told me they could not tell me if I was fine over the phone I needed to come in so they could see it. So I called another hospital and they said they couldn't tell me either. BUT that I could call poison control. (I thought for Heaven Sake I just want to know if I could DIE!). So I called poison control and they we SO helpful. They said they are not usually life threatening, but if I had trouble breathing or if any of the numbness, tingling, or pain I felt went above the shoulders I needed to go to the ER. Then They said and we DON'T recommend you take benadry. Oops... (Benadryl turn out to be a double bad idea because I got REALLY tired, couldn't take a nap cause it hurt, and I had a job interview at 10 that morning.) Poison control also informed me the numbness, tingling, and shooting pain could last for THREE DAYS!
People down here say it is just like a bad wasp sting. I guess I haven't been stung by a wasp so I don't know. All I know is the first day it hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. Because every time I moved my arm it felt like pens and needles in my arm. (the best way I can describe it is, it is like when your foot is asleep and it starts to wake again and it hurts so bad to move cause it tingles.) The second day wasn't as bad it still had the prickly sensation when I would touch my arm on something but the shooting pain was gone. Today is much better it is just a little numb. Let me tell you it was a weird experience.
Below are a few pictures of the kind of scorpion that stung me. It is called a Bark Scorpion
Below is what they look like under the black light. I do have to say they are more green then blue in real life but you get the point.
Also AZ has been HOT I know one day they had a record high! We have been under a heat advisory! I did see a temp of 121 on my cars thermometer. CRAZY I know. The even weirder thing is that we are getting use to it and it really doesn't seem that hot! Plus I would take the heat over cold any day. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment